The much-anticipated Nigeria’s Passport Automation System has been launched, and Nigerians at home and in the diaspora can now apply and get their international passport online.
According to the minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, it was created to enable Nigerians apply and complete their passport application process online without human contact.
Here are the step-by-step process of how to enroll for your Passport remotely from the comfort of your home or workplace outside Nigeria:
1. Visit the official website: passport.immigration.gov.ng and select “Apply from outside Nigeria”
2. Login by simply signing in your Google account.
3. Click ‘create new application’ and fill in the details by selecting your processing country and embassy, contact information and next of kin.
The passport booklet fee will be automatically generated in USD. The amount depends on the number of pages of passport booklet type selected.
4. Make online payment
Your passport will be ready for collection in two weeks.
Requirement for Fresh Applicants
For Fresh Applicants
1. You must be a Nigerian
2. You must have NIN
3. Have a passport photograph that meets ICAO standards
4. Have your documents such as birth certificate, local government certificate of origin, and other documents ready
For Passport Renewal
1. You must have NIN
2. Have an old passport number
3. Have a passport photograph that meets ICAO standards.
4. Have your documents such as birth certificate, local government certificate of origin, and other documents ready.
Nigerian applicants who want 32-page passports with five-year validity would pay N35,000, while those who want 64-page passports with a 10-year validity would pay N70,000.
Meanwhile, foreign applicants, who wish to apply for passports with a five-year validity period and 32 pages, will pay $130, while those who prefer passports with a 10-year validity period and 64 pages will pay $230.