There is about to be a change in the way you perform USSD transactions with your bank, as you’ll now be charged for any USSD activities you perform ranging from dialing USSD code to recharge your line, buy data, or even generating Token for your Prepaid Meter using USSD.
Telecom provider MTN sent subscribers a notification of the impending charges which will take effect from 21st of October 2019.
According to the Message sent by MTN…
Yello, as requested by your bank, from Oct 21, we will start charging you directly for USSD access to banking services. Please contact your bank for more info.
In other words, whatever banking services you’ll be performing using USSD code, you’ll be charged beginning from 21st October 2019. We are not sure if this is peculiar to a bank or to all the banks. But according to a user on Nairaland, who recharged N200 MTN Airtime from UBA using USSD code, he claimed to be charged N48.
Another user too claimed that Zenith bank charges him N15, just to check his account balance using USSD code.
How to Avoid This Charges
Use your banking app or third party applications to recharge or buy data. Like Jumia One app, Rubies etc. With this, you won’t be charge separately.
Let us know if you received the message or you’ve already started experiencing strange charges.
- NIMC Registration: Download NIMC Reg Form, Check Enrollment Centers Abroad
- FG Extends Deadline for NIN Registration With Sim Sync
- 4 Proven Ways to Transfer Airtime to Your Bank Account
- Covid-19: MTN Suspend Charges on Cash2Cash Transfer, Offers Free 100MB Daily
- Firm Launches SOS Alert App against Kidnapping, Rape, Robbery etc