MTN Nigeria has launched Voice over Long-Term Evolution (VoLTE) call service across the country. It said the launch was in line with its commitment to providing access to the best communications technology and improving overall customer experience.
The service, also referred to as high definition (HD) calls, provides customers who own compatible devices with superior natural-sounding voice quality, reduces background noise and faster call connectivity.
Online knowledge bank, Wikipedia, defines as “an LTE high-speed wireless communication standard for mobile phones and data terminals, including Internet of things (IoT) devices and wearables. VoLTE has up to three times more voice and data capacity than older 3G UMTS and up to six times more than 2G GSM.
It uses less bandwidth because VoLTE’s packet headers are smaller than those of unoptimised VoIP/LTE. VoLTE calls are usually charged at the same rate as other calls”. The service is accessible at VoLTE-enabled devices.
Benefits of VoLTE
1. Enable Wi-Fi calling to improve indoor voice coverage. Seamless voice handover between LTE and Wi-Fi
2. The next generation voice codec technology, HD voice+ (3GPP standardized, Evolved Voice Service (EVS)) provides users with even better voice quality than HD voice.
3. Improved voice quality with new codec for HD voice (AMR-WB) is default on LTE/VoLTE enabled smartphones
4. VoLTE enables simultaneous LTE data surfing and voice calls (i.e. do not fall back to 2G or 3G coverage while making a voice call)
She said: “With VoLTE, MTN Nigeria continues to enhance Nigerian lives with innovative technology. VoLTE is free to access today at your rates, from a VoLTE-enabled smartphone so you can call and surf at the same time with no interruptions ever again. We move!”
How to Get Started with VoLTE on Your Smartphone
All you have to do is update your phone’s software to get started and enjoy the VoLTE service. See the steps below to update your software.
- Go to ‘Phone settings’
- Then go to ‘System’
- Then go to ‘System update’
- Choose ‘Online update’